Education / Positions
1982 Medical Doctor (M.D.), Catholic University School of Medicine &Surgery, Rome-Italy, 1982 (with honors). Licensure: November 1982.
in Gastroenterology and Digestive Endoscopy, Catholic University School
of Medicine & Surgery, (1983-1986). Italian Ministry of Public
Education Fellowship. Studies on the precancerous conditions of the
1986-1988 / 1991-1993 Specialization in Internal Medicine, Catholic University School of Medicine & Surgery. Studies on the biomarkers of risk for human colon cancer and human hepatocellular carcinoma.
of Philosophy (Ph.D.), Catholic University School of Medicine &
Surgery, Rome-Italy, (1988-1991). Italian Ministry of Scientific and
Technologic Research Fellowship (Dottorato di Ricerca). Studies on diet
and human colon cancer.
fellowship, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor and University of
California, San Diego. Studies on the DNA mismatch repair and human
colon cancer (laboratory of Molecular Biology - Prof. C. Richard Boland).
1995 Visiting Scientist, Laboratory of Molecular Genetics, National Institute of Environmental Health Science (NIEHS), Research Triangle Park, North Carolina (Prof. T.A. Kunkel)
1996 Group leader at the Institute of Molecular Cancer Research of the University of Zurich.
2009 Lecturer (Privatdozent) in Molecular Cancer Research at the University of Zurich
2016 Titularprofessor at the University of Zurich
Academic Appointments and Awards
The Institute of Molecular Cancer Research of the University of Zurich, "Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter," a permanent position as "Scientific Collaborator" with the institute's director, Professor Josef Jiricny.
The Institute of Molecular Cancer Research of the University of Zurich, Research Group Leader. The research group is presently composed of one post-doc, three Ph.D. students, two master students, two diploma students from the Medical School, and a technician.
Lecturer in Molecular Cancer Research at the University of Zurich (Privatdozent, venia legendi für das Gebiet Molekulare Krebsforschung)
October 5, 2007
50-year Jubilee Award for Cancer Research from the Zurich Cancer League
• Since 1990, supervisor of more than 20 students (Gastroenterology fellows, Ph.D. students, Master students) at the Catholic University of Rome, University of Michigan (Ann Arbor), University of California (San Diego), and University of Zurich.
• Teacher at bachelor or master courses at the University of Zurich. Presently:
- Special Lecture Series BIO243: "Beyond central dogma: epigenetics, non-coding RNAs, protein post-translational modifications and human disease".
- Studium Biomedizin BME236: Lectures on Epigenetics in the 2nd and 3rd year
- Block course BIO257: “DNA metabolism and cancer
- Mantelstudium 1019: "Cancer - from Genesis to Therapy".
- Block course BIO255: "Cancer Epigenetics".
- Cancer Biology PhD program lecture series: "Epigenetic changes in colon cancer".
• Teacher at bachelor or master courses at the ETH Zurich. Presently:
- Fortschritte in der translationellen Krebsforschung: "Dickdarmkrebs". (Advances in translational cancer research: "Colon Cancer")
• Teacher of a master course on Epigenetics at the University of Trento (Italy); April, every year.
• Organization of seminars and video-seminars at the Institute of Molecular Cancer Research, University of Zurich.
• Invited lectures, seminars, and training programs at Universities in Switzerland and abroad
Research Experience / Interest
Identification of novel biomarkers of early epithelial transformation (Systems Biology studies).
Molecular characterization of familial and sporadic colorectal tumors.
The importance of germline mutations and epigenetic alterations of DNA mismatch repair genes in the carcinogenic process of human colon.
- Swiss National Science Foundation (end: April 2018): “Road-mapping the serrated pathway of colon tumorigenesis: Step 1: Epigenetic profiling of precancerous, proximal-colon lesions in women”
- NOVARTIS Stiftung für medizinisch-biologische Forschung (end: December 2018): "The characterization of the serrated pathway to colon cancer"
- Ida-de-Pottere-Leupold-Fonds (end: December 2017): "The epigenome of sessile serrated adenomas of the large intestine"